Tuesday, January 09, 2007

One Little Word

"A single word can be a powerful thing. It can be the ripple in the pond that changes everything. It can be sharp and biting or rich and soft and slow. Today I want to introduce you to the idea that a single word can be a catalyst for enriching your life as well as your scrapbook layouts.

Last year I began a tradition of choosing one word for myself each January - a word that I can focus on, meditate on, and reflect upon as I go about my daily life. Last year my word was something I wanted to bring into my life in a more tangible way. My word was play.I thought a lot about play and what it means to me. I tried to incorporate it more into my everyday and on my adventures out in the crazy world. For me, it was a lot about living without fear - about being more open to experiences with an attitude of playfulness. The word play found its way onto many scrapbook pages and into many stories I told throughout the year.

Can you identify a single word that sums up what you want for yourself in 2007?

It can be something tangible or intangible. It could be a thought or a feeling or an emotion. It can be singular or plural. The key is to find something that has personal meaning for you. This is not your mother's word or your spouse's word or your child's word - this is YOUR word.One little word can have big meaning in your life if you allow yourself to be open to the possibilities. And here's one thing that is totally interesting: sometimes a word will pop into your brain and it will not make any sense to you right now. Give it some time. Let it percolate a bit. I have often found that our hearts speak to us in very unique ways. Maybe this is a word you need to hear but just aren't ready for it yet. Again, be open to the possibilities.

Take some time this week to think about your own word for 2007 and read on for a related weekly challenge. And in case you were wondering, my word for 2007 is peace.

Weekly Challenge

This week your challenge is to create something, anything, that celebrates your chosen word for 2007. Maybe a layout. Maybe a blog posting or a journal entry or a simple post-it note that you put somewhere you can see it each day. Make sure to journal about why you chose your word and what it means for you - the more you let yourself explore the more benefit you will receive in the end."
- Ali Edwards

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I love this idea & I love words so I am very excited about seeing where it takes me this year. Or rather, where I can take it. The word I have chosen for 2007 is "Build". As in:
Build patience level with my girls.
Build on relationships.
Build self-esteem.
Build my photography business.
Build self-control.
Build my ability to communicate effectively.
Build my faith and trust in Jesus Christ & Heavenly Father.


I am sure this list will grow to include many other things throughout the course of the year. These are the things that came to me right away as I thought about this word. And I will build on that.

No comments: